Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca

Piazza Anfiteatro

The amphitheater square is a square in the city of Lucca, built on the ruins of the ancient Roman amphitheater (second century A.D.), which caused its closed elliptical shape.
The square was born in the Middle Ages and in this age was called "parlascio", a corruption of the Latin paralisium ("amphitheater"), from the influence of the word "speak", that was said to indicate the place where meetings were held by citizens. It was gradually filled with buildings, variously used as a salt store, powder magazine, prison.
Only in the nineteenth century, for Lucchese architect Lorenzo Nottolini, it was decided a urban resumption of the old structure. It was therefore released the arena space from small buildings that crowded and it was opened the "way of the amphitheater" that traces outside the elliptical profile. The new urban space was used for the city market (the victuals market), until - in the first half of the twentieth century - the venue was moved in the Carmine Market.

Today the plan of the square is raised by about 3 meters over the Roman arena. They open on the square many shops and within some of them the Republican structures are still visible. Access to the square is possible through 4 doors at once, but only one of these, the lowest, exactly traces one of the original accesses.

IN THIS EXCLUSIVE LOCATION WE ORGANIZE CONCERTS OF AMPHITHEATER MUSIC FESTIVAL.

Fotogalerie:

  • Anfiteatro square in Lucca

OTHER LOCATIONS

  • San Giovanni Basilique

San Giovanni Basilique

In the splendid environment of one of the most beautiful churches in the world (famous for the precious excavations and Roman and pre-Roman relics placet under the technically-amazing “flexible” floor of the Church), a great event for a selected number of people, willing to taste the joy and the pleasure of an unforgettable event of music and art, with the best Puccinian interpreters ...

  • St. Joseph's church

St. Joseph's church

St. Joseph's church is the only remnant of the convent of nuns Gesuate founded in 1518.The exterior of the building features the typical oratory structure with the two latticed windows on either side of the central door, decorated with a glazed terracotta from the first half of the sixteenth century with the Madonna between Saints Joseph and Jerome.The interior, a single nave with a cross vault ...

  • Santa Maria dei Servi church

Santa Maria dei Servi church

The church of the Santissima Annunziata dei Servi or church of Santa Maria dei Servi is a Lucca’s church that is located in Piazza dei Servi.First mentioned in 1061, was assigned to the Served from 1254 and rebuilt in the late fourteenth century assuming the brick structure with a single nave with a trussed roof, transept and rectangular apse. In the fifteenth century the walls were ...

  • Oratorio di San Romano

Oratorio di San Romano

In the heart of the historical center of the city it was recently realized through a major renovation and functional rehabilitation of the ex-church of S. Romano annexed homonymous convent of the Dominican fathers. A single nave was built in the thirteenth century and transformed in the course of the seventeenth century in baroque style. The Church is now returned to its ancient splendor with ...