Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca Puccini e la sua Lucca

San Giovanni Basilique

In the splendid environment of one of the most beautiful churches in the world (famous for the precious excavations and Roman and pre-Roman relics placet under the technically-amazing “flexible” floor of the Church), a great event for a selected number of people, willing to taste the joy and the pleasure of an unforgettable event of music and art, with the best Puccinian interpreters you can find today.

Seven different styles find application in the stately structure of the church: from paleochristian to early baroque, moving from the basement – the stunning and open-to-public archaeological excavations – to the celling – a splendid example of early Baroque wooden-panelled ceiling.
Two important moments of Puccini’s life are linked to this place. GP was baptesized here on the 23rd December 1858: his full name was Giacomo Antonio Domenico Michele Secondo Maria, the names of all his ancestors. His father had a deep sense of descendance. In this same Church on the 23rd January 1864, there was the funeral of Puccini’s father. Giovanni Pacini, who gave Puccini the direction of The Musical Institute he founded in Lucca, said the funeral oration, in wich he wished that ”…Giacomo one day could inherit the glory of his father.”

Photo Gallery:

  • San Giovanni's church in Lucca

OTHER LOCATIONS

  • St. Joseph's church

St. Joseph's church

St. Joseph's church is the only remnant of the convent of nuns Gesuate founded in 1518.The exterior of the building features the typical oratory structure with the two latticed windows on either side of the central door, decorated with a glazed terracotta from the first half of the sixteenth century with the Madonna between Saints Joseph and Jerome.The interior, a single nave with a cross vault ...

  • Santa Maria dei Servi church

Santa Maria dei Servi church

The church of the Santissima Annunziata dei Servi or church of Santa Maria dei Servi is a Lucca’s church that is located in Piazza dei Servi.First mentioned in 1061, was assigned to the Served from 1254 and rebuilt in the late fourteenth century assuming the brick structure with a single nave with a trussed roof, transept and rectangular apse. In the fifteenth century the walls were ...

  • Piazza Anfiteatro

Piazza Anfiteatro

The amphitheater square is a square in the city of Lucca, built on the ruins of the ancient Roman amphitheater (second century A.D.), which caused its closed elliptical shape.The square was born in the Middle Ages and in this age was called "parlascio", a corruption of the Latin paralisium ("amphitheater"), from the influence of the word "speak", that was said to indicate the place where meetings ...

  • Oratorio di San Romano

Oratorio di San Romano

In the heart of the historical center of the city it was recently realized through a major renovation and functional rehabilitation of the ex-church of S. Romano annexed homonymous convent of the Dominican fathers. A single nave was built in the thirteenth century and transformed in the course of the seventeenth century in baroque style. The Church is now returned to its ancient splendor with ...