The villa was originally a small tower from the 1300’s that gave this place the name. In 1891, Puccini sublet the tower-house on the Lake Massaciuccoli and moved in to complete the composition of Manon Lescaut.
He completely restored the house with all the latest fittings, from radiator heaters to the telephone, and Puccini took great care with the decorations.
He asked his friends, the painters Plinio Nomellini and Ferruccio Pagni to add frescoes which can still be admired today. He added furniture and object in different styles, from Bugatti to Tiffany, and a piano with “dampers” because he most often composed at night.
In this villa, he finished his Manon Lescaut, and composed Madama Butterfly, La Bohéme, Tosca, parts of La Fanciulla del West, La Rondine, Il Trittico.
Puccini lived and worked in this much loved home on the edge of the lake for almost 30 years, and therein lie his remains and those of his immediate family.